Yesterday, Andy Lester opened an issue for vim-perl on github about adding an automated test suite. I’ve thought about doing something like this before, so last night got busy with prototyping a test harness.
I’ve added Jonathan Scott Duff’s introduction to Perl 6 regexes to Perl6-Doc
perlreintro. In addition I put in a first draft of a
Neither of these correspond to names from the set of Perl 5 man pages, which
is fitting since they are not directly based on them. So, Perl6-Doc now has
4 man pages, the aforementioned two as well as
be carefully adding to and polishing these in the near future. I’m hesitant to
start on man pages relating to modules, IO, laziness/iterators, and other very
important features, as the specs (and implementation) for those are still
shifting heavily from month to month.
I’m currently working on making
grok index all
X<> (and maybe
in Pod documents. The user will then be able to look them up and see which
docs contain the search term in question.
As the title suggests, I reorganized the
grok a bit, in addition to adding a
few new features.
This week I’ve been working on the
perlintro document found in the pugs
repository, as well as porting Perl 5’s
perlsyn. These are the most “basic”
man pages about the language, and should be ported first (especially since
many of the more specific bits in Perl 6 are still in flux).
I just uploaded
grok 0.13 to PAUSE. It has the things I mentioned in my last
post, plus some bug fixes.
grok can look up quite a few things now (527 including documents such as
Synopses), but many of the answers it provides lack thoroughness. According to
my project schedule, it’s time to start writing new documentation. That means
I can focus on making these answers better.
With Summer of Code’s mid-term evaluations coming up, some interesting things
are about to happen to
grok. I was contacted by Herbert Breunung, author of
Perl6::Bible), which is a project that shares some of
The code is starting to take a more stable form. I’ve prepended an underscore
to all private/internal subroutines and documented the rest. Perl authors
wishing to use
grok’s functionality will now have an easier time doing so.
Some things have kept me very busy lately and I’m a bit behind on my GSoC schedule. I’m starting to catch up now, though.
I officially started on my Google Summer of Code project (project details here) last weekend.
I’ve been tasked with writing a
perldoc equivalent for Perl 6. I’ve decided
to write it in Perl 5 for now, since it’s already got Perl6::Perldoc, which
is a fast and feature-complete parser for the Perl 6 version of Pod (see
specification), as well as lots of other
useful CPAN modules which I won’t have to rewrite in Perl 6 (yet).